A grant is financial aid that is based on financial need and does not require repayment.

At VCU, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only form required to apply for these programs.

VCU participates in the following federal and state grant programs:

Unusual enrollment history

Beginning with the 2015-2016 academic year and effective for the four most recent school years, the U.S. Department of Education has established new regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant and Direct Loan Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. What this means for you:

  • If you received a Federal Pell Grant or Direct Loan at multiple institutions in four most recent academic years, your current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be flagged for unusual enrollment history (UEH).
  • The flags “2” and “3” will be indicated on your Student Aid Report (SAR) and the Financial Aid Office will be required to review your enrollment history to determine whether or not you are enrolling only long enough to receive cash refunds of Federal student aid.
  • If you received the Federal Pell Grant or Direct Loan and credit hours (passing grades: A-D) were not earned at each institution attended during these award years, you may be determined ineligible for Federal financial aid.
  • The Financial Aid Office will determine if you had a valid reason for having unusual enrollment at multiple institutions.  You may be asked to provide valid documentation explaining the reason behind your unusual enrollment history.
  • If documentation is needed, the Financial Aid Office will contact you by letter detailing the appropriate documentation needed.
  • Note: Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) must be resolved before you will receive Federal financial aid.