Employers

About the program

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally subsidized program administered by The U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid office. FWS allows students with financial need to earn FWS awards through employment with authorized FWS employers. It provides eligible students with valuable employment opportunities and helps them earn money for education and living expenses. Students have the opportunity to work with on-campus departments, nonprofit organizations, and government agencies. This program also provides VCU departments and community organizations in Richmond with needed support staff at little or no cost to the employer.

In years past, federal funds contributed 75% to the FWS student’s wage, while VCU departments and nonprofit organizations covered the remaining 25%. For the fifth year in a row, however, VCU is funding the 25% of the work-study wages that were once billed to individual departments and organizations. As a result, FWS employers have an excellent opportunity to hire work-study students at no cost.

Please note that the labor distribution and cost coverage is effective for the 2016-2017 academic year only and will be reevaluated on a yearly basis.